Sunday, August 30, 2009

Inspiration comes in many forms

This week, I was inspired by three "happenings" in my life -- one was actually mine to own, the other two were external.

First, it was to paint. My house. By myself. Walls, doors, trim. I hired someone to finish a half-finished job for me, but as it turns out, the "professional" was only as good as his self-proclaimed label, and my skills as a painter far outweigh his. So I found myself being inspired to do it myself -- again -- and finish the job the way I want it to be done.

Second, it was to speak out against bad customer service. (Those who know me well will likely find it hard to believe I have a hard time speaking out about anything ... but that's beside the point.) I'm tired of crappy customer service, in whatever form it takes. One of the blogs I follow (Heather B. Armstrong, a.k.a dooce) had a crappy experience with a $1,300 Maytag washer. She spoke out on Twitter. The difference between her speaking out and me doing the same, though, is her 1 MILLION followers on Twitter. But she did it. And a firestorm erupted online. But she finally got the service she deserved, and it made me pledge to myself to stop trying to explain away crappy customer service at any level. Next time it happens, I say so (nicely) and move toward resolution. Period.

Third, it was to cook. Zoe and I saw Julie & Julia at the matinee today, and it was fabulous! I laughed out loud at so many points that it would have been embarassing if we handn't been two of only five people in the theater. The story is fun, funny and fantastic to witness. If you haven't seen it, GO! It'll make you want to use butter in everything you cook ... and I did tonight. Granted, it was fettucine alfredo from a prepared mix, but next time, I'm inspired to make it from scratch and use LOTS of the real deal in the sauce.

I hope you find inspiration this week in all the simple things that make our lives so rich!

No comments:

Post a Comment