Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Close-to-home threats

So my daughter's not in high school, but it's never too soon to start worrying about the challenges she'll face there ... even in "small town" America.

Today, news of an arrest in a case involving a student threat to kill dozens of his peers and teachers.

It makes me wonder if all the anniversary coverage of the Columbine incident prompted someone else to think along the same lines? Granted, the news organizations didn't go overboard with the coverage, but it was still out there and prominent.

I'm thankful someone (a student) took the threat seriously enough to notify officials at the school, and that school leaders took it seriously enough to notify authorities.

This kind of news sends chills up my spine. Kids have so many issues to deal with, and from listening to my sisters talk about their experiences as teachers/administrators in school systems here and there, it's anything BUT a laughing matter.

Just one more thing to worry about as the little ones grow up, way too fast...

1 comment:

  1. Today, I'm agonizing over a 3rd grade book report. Guess I should count my blessings.

    ReplyDelete