Friday, May 1, 2009

In memory of Grandma Bee


May 3 would have been my Grandma Bender's 92nd birthday.

I think about her almost daily and have a beautiful picture of her and Zoe on my desk at work, courtesy of my sister ... and when the calendar changed months today, it was a bittersweet reminder that Granny Bee is gone. She passed away last June after years of suffering with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

Her name, in case you're wondering, is a throwback to her days as a companion beekeeper and more to my Grandpa, who was -- among other things -- a master honey maker, antique collector, woodworker and all-around salesman. They were Granny and Grandpa Bee for as long as I can remember. They even signed birthday cards that way.

I spent some time today going through pictures from a DVD my sister created for Granny's funeral. I grabbed a few of my favorites and share just one of them here, just because. That beautiful black-and-white photo was taken by my Uncle Larry when I was about 3 or 4, and we were at Granny and Grandpa's lake cabin on Raccoon Lake in Parke County.

She was a tough old bird, that lady! And the boxes full of pictures that my mom has waiting for us all to comb through are evidence of a rich, full, busy life. I'm thankful for the wonderful memories I have of growing up with her around for every part of my life.

She loved flowers. She loved family. She loved me. And I'm thankful that Zoe got to know her just a little.

3 comments:

  1. It is me...Courtney. I, too, flipped the calendar over today and just sat there staring. Staring into nowhere. Staring so long at a saying ('Make Lemonade') I have in honor of her at work. It is two small words that hang up on my wall and no one else knows how truly special they are to me. I, too, miss her daily! Sometimes it hurts so badly that I just sit transfixed, blank, feeling empty, and all I can do is cry! I miss her so much.

    I miss he shoulder shrugs with a joyful smile when asked how she is feeling. I miss her putting on lipstick in the car as we headed over to Tuscola for ice cream next to Subway. I miss cutting up 1/2 a banana for her to put in her frosted flakes. I miss staring out that kitchen window of hers when we would sit together, just the two of us, and have breakfast, dinner, and supper. It seemed that no matter what I threw together she loved it or at least acted like she did. I loved her so much for just that...just appreciating everything no matter how it turned out!

    I have spent the last year trying to figure out how to move on because I miss her so much! I miss the trips to Newman with mom to visit her on a Sunday. I miss mowing her yard and probably could not do it again without crying the whole time. I miss seeing her drink orange soda with a straw...I miss her!

    Thanks so much for posting this in memory of Granny Bee. It is hard to move on without her around...but, like you, I cherish all the time I had to spend with her. I consider myself pretty lucky to have had such wonderful grandparents and it hurts so much to be without them. Having this feeling makes you realize just how much they meant to you. I just wish their passing was not what it took for me to realize how truly grateful I am! Thanks Granny Bee...thanks for all that you did for me, made me realize, and how much richer you made my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelly! Thanks so much for the thoughts and memories...

    What are my favorite memories of Mom?

    Most of all, it was her passion for flowers, which she grew in what seemed like anywhere and everywhere there was open space...

    Crumbled saltine covering on baked chicken on Sundays (who needed those McCormick or Knorr's packages),

    Homemade egg noodles that rivals the Oakland Noodles we get now (and how some of the noodles would disappear after she rolled the dough out to dry on the countertop)...

    Her "fascination" with mowing the yard on the John Deere mower and how it made her so happy (figure that one out),

    Pressure cooked beef stew,

    and so much more!


    Family holidays will never be the same...

    I miss her so much!

    Cork

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother (NaNa) died about 2 years ago. Somedays I just find myself missing her. I'm sure Granny Bee is beaming to know she is being remembered so lovingly.

    ReplyDelete