Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The kindness of strangers


Sometimes in the middle of an otherwise ordinary day, people surprise you.

Such was the case this evening, when during Invisible Fence Training Session #2 for my dear dog, a stranger stopped by. Actually, he roared up in a big red diesel 4x4 pickup.

Turns out, he was a firefighter. And not just any firefighter, but one of the ones who came to my aid on Feb. 22 when I fell on ice in my driveway and busted my leg (also courtesy of above-mentioned dog. Ahem.)

He was in the neighborhood to visit a friend, drove by, saw me "teaching" Lucy, saw the cast on my leg and decided to stop and say hi and see how I was doing. Turns out the "fire run" that was my leg-breaking accident was pretty memorable for the whole Lebanon Fire Department crew that showed up at my house that cold February Sunday.

"I don't do deformities well," he said quite frankly, "and while we're not supposed to tell people how awful their situation appears, all I wanted to say that day was 'Geez, that's AWFUL and how did you twist your foot around like THAT!' That was a bad break."

Indeed it was ... but these many weeks later, with this really nice firefighter standing in my yard and showing genuine concern for how I was doing today, the leg felt (and feels) pretty good.

I thanked him for his on-the-job efforts and for stopping by. I also asked him to pass along my thanks to his buddies, who've apparently talked about my splayed-out-on-the-icy-driveway incident amongst themselves from time to time. :)

And then he was off.

Sometimes, in the middle of an otherwise ordinary day, people demonstrate kindness that you don't expect.

What a nice surprise.

1 comment:

  1. You should make leg-in-a-cast shaped cookies and take them to the firehouse. What a nice guy.

    ReplyDelete