Monday, May 18, 2009

It's a dog's life

Just when you think you have perhaps the most UNtrainable dog in the world, along comes the beauty of an Invisible Fence.

Yes, I invested in one. Yes, I believe it's worth it. Yes, my disobedient dog is heeding its beeps. So far. And here's hoping that come Day 2 of "training central" that she gets that the flags in the yard = shocking results if she dares to cross the line.

OK, so call me a hard ass. But enough is enough when it comes to digging out of the back yard and wandering the neighborhood. This comes as a welcome surprise to my judge of a neighbor, who just this weekend reminded me that dog without a leash is a dog worth sending to the pound with the aid of the appropriate animal control authories.

After I muttered a polite "bite me" as I walked away, I chastised myself for waiting six years -- yes I've lived in THIS house with THIS dog for SIX years -- to finally keep my dog in my own yard.

And tonight, Zoe and I ventured into the front yard with Lucy the miniature daschund in tow, decked out in her full "training regalia." Pink collar with fence transmitter; padded harness with leash attached, in a lovely matching purple color. (A girl's gotta pay attention to her apparel, even in dogland.)

I'm pleased to report that she not only listened to the beeping warnings that the fence emitted, but she also turned away from it and retreated to the safe zone of the front yard, just like the training video said she should. Who knew it was this easy?

So I'm patting myself on the back right now. And Lucy earned herself a few bites of leftover chicken nugget for being such a good dog.

Tomorrow, it's more training in different parts of the yard. And hopefully, the rabbit contingent that occupies the vacant field behind our house won't lure her into being her "true self."

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...wonder if they make a similar device that would shock rude neighbors when they say something out of line.

    ReplyDelete